Terra Radio repair

Subject: Terra Radio repair
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:10:06

Last night, a very helpful forum member called to tell me of a
successful outcome, when his Terra 760 transceiver was returned to
Trimble in the US. Additionally, he gave me their address and phone
number.

Unfortunately, his repairs were not cheap. (hundreds!) The reported
symptoms were as has been described many times before. (Intermittent
reception failure of VOX transmissions from the installation) Trimble
found a number of 'faults' and made adjustments.

I now make the assumption that there is a common internal problem with
many of the sets. If this assumption is wrong, obviously we need to know
about it straight away ??? Anyone who seriously doubts this, please
email me privately.

The justification for my assumption is that many transceivers with this
make/model share a very common set of defect symptoms which are not
present in other installations. Also, I know of at least five
individuals who have spent days in a fruitless attempt to resolve the
problem. One has even junked the kit altogether.

I offer the following two suggestions to frustrated problem Terra
owners, unable to resolve their problems:

1/ Everyone with a problem Terra joins forces, and collectively make a
deal with Trimble for repair of the affected equipment. Perhaps, the
whole lot could be shipped over in one batch ? This may help reduce the
outlay.

2/ Someone with adequate radio/Terra expertise is located in this
country and a similar deal is done. (any radio experts out there,
confident they can put it right ?)

An important immediate concern would be that the servicing agent
identifies the problem before the set owner is required to outlay
significant money.

I offer myself as a point of contact for this should enough forum
members be interested.

Drop me a line, *OFF FORUM* if you're interested in getting your Terra
radio fixed. It obviously costs nothing at this stage and does not
require any commitment.

I'll open an email folder and retain your interest. I'll then contact
you again, if and when a solution is identified and bulk repair becomes
an economically feasible proposition.

        mailto:alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

My kit is useable, but for safety's sake, I'd really rather that it
worked reliably.

Alan