Battery Connections

Subject: Battery Connections
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:38:33
Having responded to the author of the quote below I thought it might be
helpful to others to bear in mind the importance of correct wiring layout.

>During cranking, because of significantly increased electrical
resistance on starter earth, most of the negative charge was re-routed
and bourn by 'panel earth'. Consequently, this melted insulation on thin
earth wiring behind the panel, which was completely unable to bear the
electrical load of the starter.<

Can I recommend that the panel earth is routed via the engine to the
battery. That way if it happens again the panel earth will not try to take
the load. Think of the system being a spur system starting from the engine.
Apart from anything else you must have had an unintentional earth loop for
an alternative path to become available.

Nigel Charles