Re: LEDs

Subject: Re: LEDs
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:43:58
I am assuming that your LED's come in a housing, quite probably with
leads attached and have a voltage marking. In which case they can be
used as a substitute for the lamp straight away.

Led's by themselves don't have a voltage rating but have to have the
current limited to 20mA to 50mA depending on type and this is what the
resistor is used for. They all used to be 20mA but more recent ones,
especially the super bright ones can handle greater currents.

LED's are polarity sensitive so if you have one with leads then make
sure the black goes to the ground side of the wiring and the red goes to
the positive side. Get it the wrong way round and it won't light up for
you. You can test the pre wired LED's with a 9v battery if the wires are
the same colour. It'll only light up if you have it the right way round.

Tony