Questions from a wannabee..

Subject: Questions from a wannabee..
From: ilja fiers <iljafiers@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:05:54
Dear group,

Please let me introduce myself: my name is Ilja Fiers, and i am one of the
many 'wannabees' out there, looking for a project to start someday, when
time, funds and spouse ;-) would allow it. Since neither of these hurdles
have been overcome yet, i keep reading this excellent group, and for what it
is worth have not seen any 'drivel' just yet.

i've had my eye on several types of kitplanes, but find myself coming back
to the Europa every time, although it is out of reach financially for now.
In my opinion, the Europa can be built to 'real aircraft' standards, as
opposed to other kits out there that will always look 'bolted together' no
matter how much building goes into it.

My question is regarding the detachable wings. I consider this to be the key
advantage for the Europa, since i assume that renting hangarage at an
airport is both very expensive and hard to arrange. Being able to store the
aircraft somewhere else and driving it to the airport sounds a lot more
attractive to me than paying hangarage fees for long wintermonths without
flying. I live in the Netherlands, and to much of that British rain makes it
to over here...

If the detachable wings will never be used, there are other projects out
there that are less expensive to build, and would fit my 'mission' just as
well. The GBP is expensive for us over here in europe, and this is reflected
in the price of the kit i guess. I would even consider going the advanced
ultralight route, with the likes of Murphy, or Dallach.

So i am particularly interested in any comments from the field. Do you
people actually use this feature for what it is, or are most Europas
hangaraged after all? And if any of you do not use this, why is that? The
hassle of rigging/derigging the plane? BTW would it be a good idea to keep a
Europa tied down outside? I hope any of you can shed some light, and would
be very gratefull for any comments.