Re: Avionics & panel depth

Subject: Re: Avionics & panel depth
From: erichdtrombley@juno.com
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:24:21
Another method would be to mount the nut plate on the top surface of the tunnel.
Basically drill a hole equal to the outside diameter of the nut plate to allow
it fit flush to the top skin.  Next removed a little bit of the foam between
the skins in the area where the rivets will go.  I then mixed up some flox
and filled the area void of foam and inserted the nut plate.  When the flox is
cured simply drill the rivet mounting holes and install the rivets.  It is a
very clean installation and you don't have to worry about installing the nut
plates
---From under the tunnel which has limited access.

Erich Trombley
A028

This mount has the added advantage of using the nut
 > plates in their intended orientation rather than inverted (!) per the
 > manual  rhetorical question: has anyone been able to put a bolt into
 > one of these nutserts from the wrong end?  With the normal exit end pinched
 > smaller than the bolt diameter, that is not possible with any of the
 > nutserts delivered with my kit.

 I used the ones supplied with the kit. Before you rivet the nut plate in place

 thread a bolt in from the proper side a couple of times. This will give just
 enough slack to allow you to insert the bolt from the wrong side when you come

 to mount the servo.

 Tony