Re: Map light

Subject: Re: Map light
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:58:52
For panel illumination, I have several Radio Shack #276-206 - Orange
Jumbo LED's.  They put out 12,000 millicandles, a spec you won't
commonly find in catalogs.  The viewing angle is small, but if you
wet-sand the business end to diffuse 'em further (they're clear lens
LEDs) and use several, affixed to the overhead for distance, they'll
bathe the panel in reddish light with a current drain of about 30 mA a
pop.  Can't beat that with incandescent lamps, no way, esp. helpful
with puny Rotax alternator output.  For a map light, the old-tech
flashlight?  GPS map?

Regards,
Fred F.

DJA727@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,As the electrical system goes in, the subject of a map light comes up. I am
looking for a map light that I can install in the overhead that will provide
not only map lighting, but a backup panel illumination as well.

> Does anyone out there know of a good source for such a light? I was told there
is an LED map light, but I can't seem to find it.

> Thanks,
>
> Dave Anderson
> A227 Motor glider monowheel.
>
> PS I am fairly tall and considering the bubble type door windows. Does anyone
have any experience or opinions about the bulging windows?