Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins

Subject: Re: Tailplane to root fairing alignment, -and servo pins
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:12:57
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Dave Simpson" <davesimpson@londonweb.net>

I have trouble convincing myself that very good accuracy in tailplane
alignment about a horizontal axis is necessary.  If we take  a tailplane
which is 5 degrees out, twisted about the aeroplane's  longitudinal axis,
this means that less than 0.4% of the aerodynamic force it develops (1 - cos
5 degrees) is applied in the orthogonal axis, ie. yaw.  Considering the
thing's operating in twisting and dirty air back there anyway, I would say
this sort of force is lost in the noise.  Likewise the fin's vertical
alignment should not be critical for the same reason.

Of course things are more critical on the main wings, where excellent
accuracy is needed if we are to avoid aileron trims.  Likewise the fin about
a vertical axis suppose.

Given the mouldings we first 100 builders had delivered, I've always
considered the Europa an approximate aeroplane in his respect.

Dave Simpson