Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!

Subject: Re: Strut/tie-bar fitting nightmare!!!
From: bizzarro@easynet.co.uk
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:47:37
Hi Tim

> Eddie,
> Long time ago since I did this so bear with me.
> The purpose of the tie bar is to structurally tie the spacing of the
> w26
> sockets in place. Not to stop rotational forces. Therefore your 5mm
> hole
> will be OK. If unhappy then 5mm bolt. If you can fit the nut in the
> space

Agreed, but my problem is not the rotational forces but the fact that
effectively the entire compression force will be taken on only one of
the port bolts until it either bends enough to allow the outer to
contact the side of its hole, or until it breaks. I guess the 5mm
bolt is the best solution here.

I did try to get the bolt holes straight but I couldn't.

The two 4.8 starboard side holes were drilled on the drill press, but
I did one of the port holes in situ with a 2mm pilot drill in order
to hold the flange on the end stationary. If it had rotated, I
wouldn't have been able to insert the flange bolts that come through
the side of the fuse. Even though I eyed it up as best as I could, I
still found that the initial hole was not straight. When I removed
the assy. I had to drill it out accepting the misalignment (with the
5mm drill by mistake) and then make the other hole misaligned by the
same amount. So effectively, they are not at exactly 90 degress to
the tube although they are at least in the centre of the tube.

Take care

Ed

/////Eddie Hatcher Bill Lams Nick Crisp///////
///SouthEastLondonFlyingGroup/////////////////
www.crispsite.flyer.co.uk/newropa.htm