Re: Capacitance fuel level sending unit.

Subject: Re: Capacitance fuel level sending unit.
From: ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 21:14:04
Hi! Steve.
Pardon for putting my nose in from Savannah GA!
You mentioned about drilling the relevant holes
in the tank.
Suggest you use a soldering iron to burn the
holes and save swarf which attaches to the tank
sides with static. (BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVEN'T YET
HAD FUEL IN IT OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET A BIG
EXPLOSION UNLESS YOU FILL THE VOID WITH WATER)
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Quoting bizzarro@easynet.co.uk:

> Hi Steve
>
> I don't know who makes your unit, but what I do
know is that you
> should calibrate it using the type of fuel you
eventually intend to
> use. We have the Avelec cap. gauge and it has
to be calibrated for
> use with either leaded or unleaded fuel. So for
that reason alone I
> would suspect that your unit is no different,
and that water is not a
> useful substitute.
>
> Also there have been reports that the new
tanks, that are not
> supposed to need to be filled with fuel before
fitting, actually do
> expand, and to that end I would prefill the
tank with a few gallons
> of fuel, mark two points on the tank, slosh
fuel around each week and
> measure distance between the points both now
and after a few weeks. I
> would guess that the tank will have stretched
by a few percent. (Ours
> did)
>
> Once the tank has swolen to its normal
operating size, I would
> calibrate the fuel gauge.
>
> And epoxy resin does stick to the tank despite
what the manual says.

> Cheers
>
> Ed
>

> Quoting Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>:
>

> > I just received a capacitance level probe
---From Europa.  There
> > was not any documentation with it.  The
unit's head is about 3" in
> > diameter
> > with  what appear to be 3 very small LEDs and
2 transistors on top.
> Some
> >
> > questions:
> >

> > Three  wires?  Red = +DC?  Black= -DC?
> > Yellow=capacitance value?
> >

> > LEDs on top, what do these indicate?
> >

> > Unit  looks like it mounts into the top of
the tank like a cork.
> > Drill a proper sized hole and just shove it
in?

> > There are holes around the periphery of the
head.  Use some self
> > tapping screws with some sealant to  hold the
whole mess
> > in?
> >

> > Most optimum location to install this into
the tank at?

> > Calibration routine? Is water ok to use in
lieu of gas for first
> > shot?  etc. . .etc
> >

> > Is there any preferred  gauge to use with
this unit?

> > Is there any one out there who has experience
with this?  Who makes
> > it?  Any reliability concerns?
> >

> > Any info would be much appreciated the tank
has been sitting
> > around for over a month waiting to be
installed until after the

> The Europa List is supported by Aviators
Network UK - info@avnet.co.uk

This mail sent through UK Online webmail