Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:53:25 +0100

Subject: Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:53:25 +0100
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:02:19
Hi! To all those who tendered advice re my ICOM AC 200 Transcom.
Well today came and went. We went to Wolverhampton to see the "oracle"
there,
having disconnected one end of the Mag switches shielding grounds for which
there was no improvement.
He ....... could only bench test the damn thing, in spite of saying bring
the
'plane. He told me what I already knew.... that the set was set up as the
maintenance manual recommends( which I already knew!)
Under pressure he decided to put his screw driver in the squelch adjust hole
tried a slight adjustment (NOT having noted where it bloody was before he
started!) and we re-installed it in the a/c. We were getting Wolverhampton
Radio (who have an Icom Base!) fives at 10 miles and very faintly at 15
miles. So we though we had improved the thing.
Got back to Wickenby regularly calling them but only got reception in the
circuit!
Just tell me ,Chaps, why isn't it possible to make a slave harness and plug
it into the a/c with co-ax extension piece to the a/c antenae to enable the
set to be put on the engineers knee whilst in flight to ajust the damn thing
as the transmissions
are recieved or NOT as the case may be?
Perhaps a mechanical engineers' solution for some reason doesn't apply to
radios?!
He also has suggested that all equipment or any structural ground tails
should be taken direct to the battery.?
Regards
Bob Harrison