Re: Poly Fiber Paint System

Subject: Re: Poly Fiber Paint System
From: jronjones <jronjones@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 21:56:55
Hi Carl,
I used Poly Fiber undercoat on my XS (the later version with built-in UV
protection) and it is easy to use, can be done in chunks, is very easy
to sand, costs just over =A3100 per gal and I used almost 5 gallons !
Would I use it again ?   Definitely NOT !
My plan was to prepare the aircraft to final coat stage and hand it over
to Colin Noakes for that all important top coat. (Colin, as many
builders know, built and flies G-RONA, is a wizard with the spray-gun
and has painted most of the demonstrators for the company  -  inc. those
sent across the pond!  Mine was the 15th or 16th Europa he has painted!)
When Colin saw it he said it needed a good deal more "flatting" to
completely remove the orange peel effect. I had thought it was ready to
paint until Colin used a very bright light shining along the surface
which really did show up my poor finish!
Colin ended up taking most of the Poly Fiber off to achieve a surface
that he was prepared to work on !
We also found that it did not fill pin holes until you applied about 4 -
5 coats and sanding revealed the b----y things again !
Happily, I now have a very smooth and shiny aircraft which I will enjoy
showing off but feel I have wasted many months of valuable time.
So, my recommendation would be to do the filling and profiling and then
pass it to someone just like Colin for the final bit. In my case it
would have cost me a few hundred pounds extra but I would be flying by
now !

Best regards,
Ron Jones. (No. 359. G-RJWX)