RE: Europa xs

Subject: RE: Europa xs
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 17:21:48
Kevin:

Yes it is alot of questions. But here goes from my viewpoint.

I have been building for about 20 months now. Had originally planned on
finishing in 3 yrs.  But now figure it may be 4. I only put in about 10
hours a week.  I don't want to make it a full time job or any thing that
resembles it because I already have one of them.  I have however been very
meticulous on everything I have done so it takes more time.  I  don't
want anything coming back on me and biting me in the you know where. I know
people who have been at it 6 years  and people who have finished  in
18 months.

Problems with epoxy? What do you mean? The stuff is really straight forward
and no problem.  Just do several little sample projects before doing
the plane to get a feel for it and do some reading of Ron Alexander and Burt
Rutan stuff.

How many stop the project?  I doubt you will find that out here.
If I stopped the project I wouldn't be wasting my time surfing this page
anymore.  That is more a personal thing rather than a kit thing.

How much to operate?  I have heard of a  minimum of $1300 a year
for the insurance. The rest you figure out. You build your own plane so you can

do the maintenance. Fuel burn anywhere between 3 and 6 gal/hr. Hanger
trailer  etc. Its  expensive but much cheaper than a certificated
plane but with much  more performance.

How much to get into the air?  I  figure  when I'm done it
will be about 50 to 60 K.  That however is with a turbocharged Rotax. It
sounds like a lot but you  better plan for it. I've probably spent $200
just in sand paper. Little things like getting the kit to your house can cost
you $1000. Poly  fiber UV smooth prime is about $1 an oz.

Builder support?  I haven't had too much interaction with Europa other
than  making sure that all the parts  were present.  This forum
and other builders web pages have taken care of any questions. The  kit is
pretty straight forward and easy to figure out.  From reading other's web
pages on what  they have had  contact with Europa the support seems
reasonable.

Rigging, transport?  Have not been there or done that.

Steve Hagar

Mesa, AZ

A143

N40SH