Re: Taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: Taildragger conversion
From: Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:27:49
 03/26/2001 08:27:59 AM

Jeff, over here in the colonies, we have an abundance of "proper" airport
runways, and do not have any need to dodge cow pies in farmer's fields.
One's selection of an airplane is dependent upon the conditions under which
it is to be flown.  If you live in Alaska, then floats (summer), and skis
(winter) are appropriate.  In the outbacks of Africa I suppose I'd choose a
Cessna 180 taildragger with big balloon tires.  I grant you that if all you
have available is a plowed field, then I suppose a monowheel might be
slightly better than a trigear, but.........why are there so many
ground-handling related accidents in the UK, all of which are mono-wheels
and none are trigears?........and why are so many builders converting from
mono to trigear?

Regards,
Garry
N4220S
(813) 878-3929
FAX (813) 878-5651, Internet ID Garrys@att.com

JLW <jeffw@telebyte.net>@aztec.houxou.com on 03/23/2001 09:14:10 PM

Please respond to JLW <jeffw@telebyte.net>

Sent by:  owner-europa@aztec.houxou.com

cc:

As much as I hate to contribute to the sizable noise to sound ratio of this
list,
I say...  EXACTLY!   And, I'd like to see the tri-gears land on the
unimproved
fields the fat mono wheel planes can land on.  Of course the tri-gears (if
they
survived the landing) would have to be trailered away.   :-D

    Jeff