Re: paranoid???

Subject: Re: paranoid???
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:42:48
>I hope I don't come across as a nut case  here but I could use some advice.
>I am having a grand time building the tail section of an RV9-A.  (Wings are
>on order) I am an expert woodworker - so I am not new to tools or
>craftsmanship.  However,  as I build this plane I catch myself becoming
>paranoid about the quality and safety of what I am doing.  With each hole I
>drill and rivit I place, following the plans to the letter,  I get tense
that
>if I screw up, someone could die.  Is this normal?

   I open my weekend seminars with the observation that amateur
   airplane builders are fabricating the finest airplanes to have
   ever flown. I support that statment as follows:

   The folk pounding rivets on an assembly line of an airplane
   factory would love to be doing anything DIFFERENT that what
   they are doing now. If something gets bent, a little whack here
   or some prybar there might make that rivet go into the hole
   with a few SMALL hammer whacks . . . if someting breaks,
   two supervisors and three inspectors will stand around discussing
   the MINIMUM effort needed to LEAGALY push that airplane out the
   door.

   I've visted some builder's shops where the airplane under
   construction had some pretty scary craftsmanship . . . further,
   the builder was making modifications to "correct some perceived
   screwups in the original design."  I'm pleased to note that after
   10 or 12 years, those airplanes are STILL under construction
   and not much further along than when I last saw them.

   You guys are doing a good job because you DO worry. If you don't
   know about some aspect of the task, you get on the list, call
   another bulder, call the factory, etc. etc. IF and WHEN your
   airplane breaks ground for the first time, the MAJOR risks
   to it's success will be from silly mistakes (cotter key left
   out, fuel line fitting not tightened, pilot skills poorly
   adapted to type, etc.) . . . your risk to suffering an
   consequence of poor craftsmanship is nil.

   The mechanics of putting an airplane together is very conducive
   to the "look and feel" method of inspection. If it's smooth,
   went together without hammering or sawing, then the completed
   task is 100% likely to meet the intent of the designer.

   It's right that you question what you don't understand. At some
   time in the past we were all right where you are. You're
   in right crowd for acquiring understanding and your going
   to do just fine.  At some time in the future, I predict
   your biggest "worry" is picking the right color scheme for
   paint and upholstery . . . after all you don't want a machine
   of this caliber pulling up to the ramp looking like a teenager's
   street rod . . .

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different from  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com