gascolators and drains...

Subject: gascolators and drains...
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:59:10
I don't think it is necessary to have the gascolator at the lowest point
of the system, as long as it is below the carb/s/fuel control unit -
after all, a lot of taildraggers have an additional drain at the lowest
point of the system (Maules, for instance) - however, being able to
drain water from the tank is important, and I could never quite figure
out why Europa made the drain kit an option - it should be mandatory.

99% of water in fuel comes from repeated temperature cycling of the air
space above the fuel level over night (together with refuelling to
displace the dryer air) - assuming things like cap seals are in good
order - and the only way to combat this is to keep the tanks topped. In
the past, I've found this to be unsatisfactory as occasionally some
*&
%$"  nicked all my fuel (in a Luscombe, in this case) - after the
3rd time, I gave up...

The real issue is that the drains are the primary line of defence
against water and the gascolator is there as a backup and to remove
solids.

Miles