Re: Batteries - Warning to Gel battery owners

Subject: Re: Batteries - Warning to Gel battery owners
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:14:29

>>    RG batteries are quite tolerant of
>>    high recharge rates and the few seconds of connection needed
>>    to crank an engine are not likely to heat things up even in
>>    a relatively tired battery.
>>

>That's good to know.  I recently jumped mine and can attest it suffered no
>apparent ill effects.  At least I think it is an RG Battery.  It's a "Gill
>Aero 30 Sealed Battery" which Aircraft Spruce terms a "Gell Cell Battery".
>However, I would infer from Bob's comments that it's really an RG.
>
>I do have one nagging concern about my Gill Aero 30, assuming it's really an
>RG:  Aircraft Spruce's catalogue has some language in it (see p. 362 under
>"Sealed immobilized Electrolyte Batteries (Gel Type)") suggesting that the
>charging voltage must be precisely regulated at 13.8 v. +- 0.2 volts to
>avoid shortening the life of these batteries.  They recommend a $200
>regulator to accomplish this.  My question is, is this true?  Does it apply
>only to bona fide gel cells or does it apply also to RG batteries?  My
>charging system charges at about 14.5 v.  Do I need a $200.00 regulator?
>Finally, if I forget and leave the master on and need to recharge the
>battery in the hanger, do I need a special charger to avoid zonking it?  The
>Aircraft Spruce Catalogue implies that this is the case for "gell cell and
>sealed batteries" --see the write up for the "Electronic Power Systems"
>charger, same page.

   The conventional wisdom being circulated conforms to
   the fondest wishes of the folk who build and sell batteries.
   "Treat my product with tender loving care and it will
   give you the best performance possible." This always
   begs the question, "how far outside the envelope of
   TLC will the product still provide satisfactory performance?"

   We know that an RG battery (or any other lead-acid battery)
   will eventually achieve 100% charge when maintained at 13.8
   volts at room temperature. We also know that automotive and
   aircraft OEMs have favored 14.2 to 14.4 volts as a level
   that speeds up recovery of a battery's state of charge soon
   after the engine starts . . . the higher voltage also favors
   performance in cold weather.

   A couple of years ago, I purchased a used GMC Saffari van
   and until September a year ago, had no occasion to check on
   the health of the electrical system. When the flooded battery
   barfed, I stuck in a used and several times deep-cycled RG
   battery I had purchased from B&C to power portable test
   equipment in some testing I was doing on the Beechjet. The
   battery was just laying around the shop so I decided to
   use it up in my van.

   After installation, I did a quick check of the charging
   voltage and was astounded to find it running 15.1 volts!
   Hmmmmm . . . how long had it been that high? Did the
   elevated voltage barf the flooded battery? The date
   code on the flooded battery was over three years old.
   The regulator was built in to a 100A alternator and I
   wasn't eager to replace the thing. I decided to leave it
   and see what happened.

   14 months later, the alternator barfed and I had to replace
   it. The new charging voltage is 14.4 volts. The RG battery
   is still there and about to enter its second winter
   of operation.  I also know that when we tested the RG
   batteries for B&C's STC, one of the tests the FAA asked
   for was to show resistance to thermal runaway. This involves
   putting 16.0 volts on the battery and see what happens.
   Well . . . not much. The battery soaked up some more charge
   but in less than an hour, the current going into the battery
   dropped to less than 100 milliamperes. The battery warmed up
   less than 1 degree C.

   Now, all of the above is anecdotal. The experience I
   can share speaks to observations on two batteries. However,
   there is a strong suggestion from these observations that
   RG batteries are not fragile creatures to be pampered
   lest they sigh and die.

   The short answer to the question above is, "no" a $200
   regulator is not required . . . it may "help" but I'm
   beginning to suspect that "helping" means 24 months of
   service as opposed to perhaps 22 months of service. The
   real bottom line of battery reliability in airplanes is
   to KNOW what it's capacity is by either periodic testing
   after one year -OR- periodic replacement at cycles which
   insure e-bus capacity equal to or greater than fuel
   capacity.  The real trick here is consdiered preventative
   maintenance, not agonizing over how well your regulator
   works.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com