N44EU First Flight

Subject: N44EU First Flight
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:33:34
On 27 August 2000 at 6:53am N44EU flew for the first time with test pilot Joe
Gauthier at the controls. Ambient temperature was 15C/60F with no wind. The
flight lasted 36 minutes and explored handling at medium and slow speeds as
well as approach to stall. Handling was described as "nice and smooth" with a
 "slight left roll"  (probably caused by assymetric loading due to pilot
weight).  Speeds for stall nibble were by the book.

The only squawk was that oil temperature went to 252F during the climb to
3000ft which is higher than desired although well below redline of 266.  The
oil cooler intake will be enlarged toward the size proven by Kim Prout to
deal with this.

Some details on N44EU  (aka A044):

Europa Classic
Weight       776           APS CG  59.6   (includes ballast of 6.3 in tail)
                                 First Flight weight 1056,  CG=60.4, 12 US
Gal fuel
Rotax  912S               Warp Drive Propeller set at 18.5 degrees
Build began May 1996, completed  July 2000.
Man hours: 3787 which includes wiring, painting, and trailer
assembly&adjustment.

I would not have been able to complete this project without support from the
staff at Europa  who answered many, many questions for this neophyte builder,
especially in the early part of the build.  My wife provided much needed
support and encouragement throughout the project but especially during the
early times her hands-on expertise was extra helpful in learning to deal with
fiberglass cloth. The support of fellow builders on the Europa net has been
invaluable and I am particularly indebted to both Grahams for their
knowledge, support and encouragement.  The fellowship and helpfulness of
local EAA members is also much appreciated; several who I did not previously
know contributed time and work toward my project at critical junctures and
with specialized skills to cover areas outside my capabilities.

I would especially thank Joe Gauthier for his help and support on this
project as well as his truly putting his life on the line as test pilot.  Joe
is an invaluable resource to EAA members in this area where he is a
renaissance  man for experimental aviation: CFI, A&P, EAA Tech Advisor, EAA
Flight Advisor, and test pilot for many projects in the Connecticut area. He
and his wife were far more composed than my wife and I at N44EU's first
flight.

To all who helped along the way, many thanks - I'll try to help other
builders in the future as repayment of my debt.

John    N44EU