Flying : Versailles

Subject: Flying : Versailles
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:39:45
Forwarded from bounce bin.  Message is from "Alan D Stewart"
<alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

..Another flying report, to keep builders dreaming of the day's ahead,
and allow those of you who are already airborne to contemplate future
ventures:

On Saturday 12th August, a friend and I embarked on a day 'tourist' trip to
The Palace of Versailles in S.W.Paris, from the Stansted area of eastern
England.

Our destination was Toussus-Le-Noble, a busy customs airfield in the
south-west of Paris, which we had previously visited on our channel hopping
ventures.

Obviously, foreign trips require more planning than normal and I was up at
the crack of dawn filing the essentials. (Flight Plan and Custom's
document)

Rayne Hall farm is a listed farmstrip from the point of view of Customs, so
it's possible to fly direct to France from there.

I'd recomend a copy of the PFA publication 'Crossing the Channel'. This
booklet covers much of the material which is required for foreign visits. In
particular, completed example flight plans are included.

My flight plans are stored on the home PC in 'Word' form. I had to do the
initial design work myself, from an existing template. For each new
trip I change a few of the details and then fax outbound and return portions
to Heathrow Flight Planning Office. This can be accomplished directly from
the computer, so I don't need a paper copy.

Similarily, Customs at Ipswich receive a one page 'General Aviation Report',
in 'Word' form, which is modified according to passenger manifest, dates and
destination. This too, is faxed directly to their offices. Typical contents
include names, date of birth, place of birth and passport numbers. Both
forms require that estimated departure/arrival times are specified in Zulu.
(BST - 2hrs).

'Microsoft Excel' allows me to store my own flight route plan, including
waypoints, bearings, timings, useful frequencies, telephone numbers and
significant 'points of note' along the way, in one line free text summaries.
I print a couple of hard copies of these, for myself and others, should I
fail to turn up ! This represents the route I intend to fly.

By 9am we had donned our life jackets. These are essential for the channel
crossing. Even at this time of year, the water is very cold, and I've often
wondered whether my aircraft would stay afloat if we were ever forced to
ditch. It seems to me that survival strategy would depend on having some
means to prevent long term immersion.

Prior to take off, or more usually when I achieve sufficient height, I open
my outbound flight plan with 'London Information'. Radio work is fairly
light and is restricted to the usual 'coasting out', 'midpoint' and
'coasting in' communication with both London and Paris (Lille) Information
on the Le Touquet approach frequency. I have noticed that French controllers
seem to be somewhat keener on transponder use.

---From overhead Southend we headed south to Folkstone/Hythe for the long
channel crossing towards Le Touquet. The weather on Saturday was consistent,
calm and smooth for  the entire journey, with few of the expected thermals.
Visibility was average with some general haze restricting forward line of
sight to around 10km. By mid channel only the water surface was visible, no
land at all !

Our routing took us west of the Le Touquet zone, coming ashore overhead the
Somme Estuary, then onward abeam Abbeville, south past Le Bourget and
finally above the western fringes of Paris towards a landing at Toussus. The
return journey is a simple mirror image.

The local landing fee is around 7.00 and there is a small parking charge.
Controllers are courteous and helpful. An attractive on site resturant sits
beside the runway, serving a variety of different menu items (in French!!).

Versailles was a short 7 mile taxi hop to the north. (around 9 each way)

For the return trip, I requested that the Toussus controller should activate
my pre-filed flight plan over R/T, while parked on the ground. After a short
delay (5 mins), it was approved (presumably, by means of a telephone call to
Lille).
I'm convinced there's a more appropriate way to deal with this, as exactly
this same confusion occured on my previous trip to France. (must learn to
use Minitel !) He appeared to be particularly concerned about my transit
time to the border.
Nevertheless, start-up was approved and we were soon on our way.

I'm pleased to say that aircraft and engine were flawless throughout. The
following details accurately reflect my aircraft performance:

(Rotax 912UL  'Classic' standard build Europa, W.D. fixed pitch 3 blade,
slightly coursened for cruise. Figures may be rounded, and are close
estimates)

Empty weight:    810lb
Static RPM:       5190 (FLYDAT)
Climb RPM:       4980
Max S&L:          5700
Max TAS:          132 kts
Total hrs:           350
Endurance:        > 4 hours at stated cruise. (84 litre tank)
Cruise speed:   112 kts *

* From my point of view, 'Cruise' is average ground speed, based on numerous
cross-country trips at a realistic power setting of around 5100 RPM,  3 1/2
gph. Assumes accurate bearing flown & light winds. Useful for flight
planning purposes. Faster nil-wind ground speeds may be possible (5 - 8kts)
but at the expense of a significant increase in fuel use and, I believe,
engine stress.

N.B: I've always believed that my aircraft is 'typical' of the fleet.

Trip Data:

Take off weight:   1250 lb.
Surface temp:       20 - 31 C
Wind st/dir:           light easterly (x-wind, since time-out/time-in
identical)
Cruise fuel rate:   16.5 litres/hr at c5100 RPM

Distance flown:    circa 245 statute miles. (single)
Transit time:        1hr 55 mins. (single)
Fuel use:              65 litres. (return)
Still air mpg:         34
Av. ground spd:    About 128 mph.

The above figures make allowances for our 'meanderings'. (circa 2%) Gallons
are imperial.

Best of luck for anyone who wishes to try the same trip.

Fly safe,
Alan

PS. I have seen a genuine > 200 mph on my GPS, a couple of times. Must have
been a hell of a tailwind !!