RE: Tri Gear Europa's

Subject: RE: Tri Gear Europa's
From: Gregory Mike <M.J.Gregory@cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:34:23
Dear Alan

I understand that a Tri gear suffered a failure of the weld attaching the
nosewheel fitting to the base of the leg. This occurred after only a short
period in service, and PFA Engineering were writing to all Tri gear owners
on UK Permits with a recommendation that they should not fly until the
factory had examined the problem and determined whether any action was
necessary.

I have been away for the past week, and have not had the opportunity to find
out what progress has been made. Please note that, if the PFA intend the
aircraft to be grounded, then they would issue instructions accordingly.
Unless such instructions are received, then it is only a recommendation not
fly.

I would always counsel people to follow any recommendation from the PFA.
However, if you have compelling reasons to continue flying a Tri gear before
the factory advice is available, I would recommend a very careful inspection
of the nosewheel welds before each and every flight. I would also suggest
the avoidance of rough surfaces, and that you do not practise touch and
goes.

I expect that Andy Draper at the factory will very soon have worked out the
answer, if he has not already done so.

Fly safely

Mike
Europa Club Safety Officer