Re: Newspaper

Subject: Re: Newspaper
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:38:04
>I had the 'fox outside today working on the flaperons
>and a car stopped in the driveway, (nothing unusual so far).
>A lady got out and had ID around her neck for The Indianapolis
>Star, the local newspaper. (this is where the unusual part comes in).
>She said she had seen the plane in the garage last tuesday and
>that they want to do a story on it! I told her ok. She is going
>to contact me about setting up an appointment. I thought I would
>explain about the EAA and this list being a great help to me.
>What do you guys think? Has anyone on the list been through this before?

  I quit speaking to mediatypes about 10 years ago after this
  crowning touch on mis-representing "the news:";

  Dee and I were out flying one cool and smooth day at lunchtime
  at the little airport we used to own. While landing, I noticed
  a large, obviously non-amateur camera set up on a tripod out in
  the grass and panning my landing. Needless to say I was more than
  extra mindful of doing a good job. By the time we taxied around
  to the hangar, reporter and cameraguy were hoofing it across the
  field to talk to us.

  Seems newspaper headlines for that morning spoke of "Six near
  misses" in Wichita over the past year. What they wanted from me
  was, "my reaction" to this frigntening revelation and, "what do you
  think the FAA should do about it?"

  How do you explain a very complex set of facts involving
  pilot responsability, limitations of government owned
  facilities and personel, and limits imposed by the laws
  of physics and the current state of the art in anti-collision
  technology. . . . and squeeze it into a 1 minute or less?

  What appeared on the 6:00 o'clock news was, "local pilot
  sez FAA's equipment broke and airline passengers are doomed."
  What they used from my interview was two sound bytes
  pulled out of context that appeared to support the
  premise of their "news blurp".

  Since that time, I've declined to speak to anyone from the
  so called "news" media. When asked, I tell them, "because
  you never get it right."

  Obviously, an in-depth feature story is different than trying
  to explain physics of the universe to to a wild-eyed,
  sensationalist reporter. BUT . . . there are still risks.
  I'd recommend that you agree to support the piece. Heaven
  knows that we can use all the positive publicity we can
  get. Try to extract a promise from the reporter that you
  are allowed to proof the FINAL article before it goes to
  print. The pitfalls are that while your project may be the
  leading particular of the article, someone ELSE may decide
  to provide background about a couple of accidents involving
  amateur built aircraft.  While the intent may be well-meaning,
  the result could be that your wife gets piles of condolance
  letters suggesting that she keep your life insurance paid up,
  "your gonna need it lady."  Amateur built aviation doesn't need
  that kind of exposure. The only way to avoid this is to
  get personally involved in the whole production effort for
  the piece. Left to their own devices, media reporters and
  writers are dismal purveyors of fact. Give the reporter
  a couple of issues of Sport Aviation to read.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com