RE: Leaking Compasses

Subject: RE: Leaking Compasses
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:11:15
Message text written by "Tony Krzyzewski"
>ps Ever had a compass fracture in flight and dump the oil over you. I had
that happen to me yesterday - it's smelly horrible stuff!!
<

I have had it happen in a Jodel when it was my only compass flying VFR in
1500m visibility - not to be recommended!!

As a result I am not intending to use a traditional liquid filled compass
in my Europa. Unless you are in very smooth conditions flying straight and
level they never seem to be very easy to read. They also have a parallax
error unless they are mounted right in front of you. My fit is as follows:

Primary heading instrument - Electric DI manually updated by either compass
below.

Secondary heading instrument -  Fluxgate compass as part of the RMI
uEncoder package.

Backup heading instrument -  Digital fluxgate compass powered off the
aircraft system with internal battery (2 x AA) backup.

Although all 3 of these use electricity it is extremely unlikely that I
will get a situation where none of them are working.

Nigel Charles