RE: Tailplane questions.

Subject: RE: Tailplane questions.
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:18:42
Hi Chris:

In building  my tailplanes I had found I was also getting a good deal of
scraping or galling that no amount of lubing or sanding of burrs would
alleviate. Upon careful inspection and measurement I had found that the
bushings were out of round by a small amuount.  This was confirmed by other
members on the board as their's were out also. It doesn't take much .010 -
.016" to spoil one's party. It took some time and patience with the vice
and a pair of calipers to get things round  again.

I wasn't too concerned about having the pins exactly level as tail fins
will fall where ever you get your little bushings positioned in the roots
of the horizontal stabs. I used a digital "smart  level to get each sided
within a tenth of a degree of one another.  The trick I used was to finish
up one side and get it all cured. I then got it anchored to the table nice
and tight after using  several of those little machinest's jacks to crank
it to a datum.  The other side is now floating as the holes for the
opposite side little bushings have some small amount of play.  These have
the flox taking up the small play and machinest's jacks are used to dial
the opposite side stab to the same datum point as the fist. Checks after
completion could find no discernable difference between both sides.

The gaps you mentioned may not neccessarily need the extra work.  I noted
that Kim Prout's  super smooth plane has all of the gaps covered with some
sort of plastic fairing tape. Attached  to the non-movable flying surface
and just flapped  back over the moving section. The gaps aren't even
visible.

--- Steve Hagar
--- hagargs@earthlink.net