Re: [Re: Whirlwind prop for motor gliders?]

Subject: Re: [Re: Whirlwind prop for motor gliders?]
From: Chris Beck <EuropaChris@netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:25:33
I believe Jerry is correct regarding the 3 blader being better at low speeds.
I went through this in college for my Aero. Eng. degree.  It's all in the
math, and the difference is fairly significant, although I don't remember it
being more than 10% in static thrust.  It's been awhile, so this is all off
the top of my head.  I think it's due to the lower disc loading on a 3 blade
prop at low airspeeds giving more efficiency, but at high airspeeds, the
increased parasitic drag of the 3rd blade starts to dominate.

I should have asked Bob yesterday, as he, Michele, and Ed were so kind as to
show up at our house yesterday on the way to Oshkosh with a big yellow truck
and drop of stage 2 and 3 of our kit.  He did mention to me that the Whirlwind
was a really slick prop, when the time came for us to go prop shopping.  Not
cheap, tho.

5 days 'til we go to Oshkosh...it's nice being a 45 minute drive away..

Chris Beck
A159