Slurry exuding during layup

Subject: Slurry exuding during layup
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:24:47
Gidday again,
Whilst doing the leading edges I had one problem that eventuated. The
slurry on one core, luckily the underside, exuded the slurry out of the
pores when the resin was painted on prior to skin application. The long and
the short of it was that it created a longish, lumpy lateral drip that has
remained. The logic at the time it was noticed was to hurry and get the
skin on in the hope that the weight might force it back into the foam. I am
only talking a length of about 8" and a width of maybe an 1" or so, but it
distorts the fibres over the top, albeit not bad enough to require a
repair, only unsightly, and will require extra  filling. So, the question
is, "why did this happen?" I can only think of one thing I did different
over this part of the wing. I used a Thalco squeegee (excellent they are)
but I used it over the effected area rather firmly and was surprised how
much microslurry I was able to pull out. It was deemed inappropriate to do
the entire wing, which may well have been to my advantage now that it
appears this squeegeeing was the culprit. I can only think that by being a
little firm I was actually chopping, or dragging the tops off the foam
ridges and effectively lowering the surface nominally, whilst at the same
time making each individual hemisphere of foam void more like a crescent
shape, and less likely to retain contents when in the vertical plane.
Simply put, I figure I allowed gravity to have a greater effect by changing
the retainment quality of the foam in the vertical. Does this sound
logical, or is there another reason that I haven't thought of???
Anyway, I ask simply to try and avoid a repeat of this for the trailing
edges. I am tempted to consider Miles Mc Callums? idea in Flyer of building
a jig for my leading edges that allows the job to be layed over on a 45
degree angle. I'm completely stumped trying to find which issue it was in
because there were some nice pictures too. Does anyone have any comments
about this option, or is it considered best to stay with the vertical???
Thanks in anticipation, and if you haven't already read any of my recent
messages, and you have replied to others, I couldn't be without the forum
at the moment and it is better than it ever has been!
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Reg
Tony Renshaw