Re: Tufnol Blocks

Subject: Re: Tufnol Blocks
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 21:16:33
Hi, Tony --

Re the sloppy bearing, sounds like a bad part.
Europa here in the States, at least, will gladly
replace it.

I put grease fittings in the aileron torque tube
Tufnols in the cockpit module.  Theory was all ya'
can otherwise do is throw oil at the rear one
(though I suppose one can cobble a long-necked
oil-squirter), and oiling the front one can
eventually mess up the upholstery goodies.

You won't split the Tufnol, but it sure doesn't
tap worth a darn.  So, you're right about just
drilling a hole big enough to weakly thread a
nipple in (file tap-like cutters in the threads),
and use Redux.

BTW, I didn't do this to the rudder Tufnols,
because if you gotta go down there with a grease
gun, might as well just put a couple drops of oil
there.  Also, even if you cut a channel in the
Tufnol, it still tends to lube only the area
around the nipple.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063