No Fuel like an.......

Subject: No Fuel like an.......
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 04:11:07
Message text written by INTERNET:fkyle@bigwave.ca
> I don't know how TIGHT
to clamp the head, though. Do you suppose the clamped tank ceiling will
'creep' under pressure? Also, how proud of the shelf are the heads on
your machone, as I was hoping to raise the tank somewhat from specified
level in the manual. It seems to me it should not be too low next the
belly....but the heads may pop up onto the shelf? Cover of some sort?<

Once you have fully compressed the gasket there is little point tightening
much further for fuel sealing purposes but you may wish to tighten a little
more to ensure the head is ultimately secure (don't forget the wire
locking) I partially filled my tank and inverted it a week after
installation and it didn't leak but cannot be sure what the long term
'creep' situation will be. At least this is at the top of the tank so the
seal is only under pressure whilst there is still fuel in the filler hose.
Personally I am more concerned with the security of the seal in the other
apertures (filler, vent and fuel outlets). However it seems that there
hasn't been much trouble in those areas so I have reasonable cause to have
faith with the head seals.

When I fitted my tank (several years ago) the factory instructions were not
very good as it looked as though it could be fitted so that it was almost
touching the fuselage floor. This I tried to do so that the heads did not
protrude above the shelf. All was well until I tried to install the wings
in the module and found that the tank overhang intruded into the space for
the spars.  Having refitted the tank so that it clears the spars about half
of the head protrudes above the shelf. By using suitable thickness of foam
sheet and trim material I was able to have a removable shelf cover (the
foam was removed in the head areas leaving just the trim to cover the
heads). The cover was attached using velcro strips.

Nigel Charles