Dual SkySport fuel probes

Subject: Dual SkySport fuel probes
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:16:58
Message text written by Fergus Kyle
>Insert the 3-13 bolt into the head, in a hole next to the flange
cutout area, add the cork gasket under the head (alignment!), and then
the flange - suitably aligned per the markings. Thread the bolt only
slightly into the flange - and keep the gasket and head near the top.
5.      Insert the probe, align it to the task, then drop the flange to the
hole, and using the bolt as a handle, manoeuvre the flange into the
hole, cutout first. By pulling on the bolt and lowering head and gasket
to the surface, one has a handle to rotate the internal flange until the
inevitable alignment permits entry of the first AN3-9 attachment bolt.<

Thanks for your comments on this fiddly procedure. I don't understand how
you manage to 'post' the flange through the hole in the tank with the probe
attached? Perhaps I am missing something or you are using a much larger
hole? Although the smaller hole I describe in the club mod makes initial
installation of the flange a little more tricky the seal area is much
larger. Also once the 2 additional flat head retaining screws are fitted
any subsequent probe removal is easy. Certainly marking the head,gasket and
flange help to ensure correct alignment as the bolt hole spacing is
irregular.

>one can only select one probe reading or the other, since both read total
head - not a feasible number. Thus the total is a reading of MAIN, plus a
mental 11 litres or so (RESERVE) initially.<

I found that using the twin needle gauge you have a pretty good idea of the
levels each side of the tank. If you want a gauge to read quantity rather
than level then some electronics and an LCD display would be the way to go.
I will be working on that in the near future.

>if one inserts a grounding strap through the vent or
fueling holes, it must not reach the probe (at any time as in aeros,
thumpy landings, etc)<

Good point. I haven't checked to see whether the probe outer tube is at
earth potential. If it is then an earth strap within the tank is
unnecessary but if it isn't the probe must not touch an earth strap (or
anything else which is earthed for that matter).

Regards

Nigel Charles