Taildragger landing gear

Subject: Taildragger landing gear
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:16:18
We have decided to proceed with our taildragger conversion using trigear
mainlegs and a structure in the footwell/tunnel.

This is being developed using the same software that Airbus etc use for
designing composite parts - the only unknown being the peel strength
between the "new" structure and the existing airframe;  we plan to clear
this to the PFA's satisfaction by making some test samples and
destroying them to compare predicted vs actual failure loads. This will
mean.... no drop tests required.

Plans for the conversion will be available as soon as we are satisfied
that there are no problems with it. The stress analysis and detail
design should be complete by Cranfield.

We are looking for a "prototype partner" - the criteria being that you
have a flying monowheel in or near the UK. As the Flyer Europa won't be
flying this year (almost) - but the taildragger conversion could, within
12-16 weeks - we would like an independent builder to do the conversion,
and perform before and after tests on performance and weight and
balance.

Any potentail takers please email me off list with their phone #, and
I'll explain in detail.

all the best,

Miles