Glueing in fuel tank: which layer of three first?

Subject: Glueing in fuel tank: which layer of three first?
From: Dr. Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 10:56:51
Hi:

I am about to glue in the fuel tank. However, the manual specifies
that the layup#1 bracket to be formed uses some "temporary" foam
to fill the distance between the tank saddle and the cockpit module
so the layup would be smoothly guided onto the tank itself. HOW
CAN THE FOAM BE REMOVED AFTER THE BRACKET HAS
HARDENED AS I UNDERSTAND IT IS FIRMLY GLUED TO THE
TANK (which I supposed cannot be removed after this layup?

Latup#1 also requires a "T" formed bracket creeping under the wing
spar mounting area by up to 5 centimeters. Considerably
thickening the area it would push the spar up a few milimeters or
so and there is a danger of the top spar now colliding with the
aileron quick connect bracket bellcrank. Would an "L" shape of
such a bracket be sufficient?

Finally, for this entire layup, especially #1, do I need to remove
none, one or both Aileron brackets CS 14 to even get into this tight
area for the layup? Have some folks even removed the entire CS-10
elevator torque tube to have sufficient place to work with?

Your immediate help is appreciated. Please let me know, those of
you who have done it, so I can start to work!

I also found only one Ply-5 12-millimeter plywood piece in my kit. It
is a 4x4 inch square and I assume to be used to make the fuel
tank spacer. Is it cut in half or am I missing a piece? And, where is
an additional 12-millimeter plywood piece supposed to be used to
make the basis to fix the fuel tank selector valve od, and to make
both wing pin latches as well? Does it come with the kit, or only
with stage 4?

Christoph #223, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada