Another thing....

Subject: Another thing....
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:20:53
Cheers:
        SCREWS. I note the reference to Crosshead (Phillips) and lately, to
"squarehead" screws. May I recommend the latter? We use them for
temporary fixing at the museum, but of course nthey weren't used in
vintage aircraft, and have no standing as aviation parts.
        BUT, 'squareheads' are actually Robertson screws, invented and
distributed by the Robertson Screw and Gear co. of Milton Ontario. They
have a superior twisting strength from the increased side area within
the hole and don't slip so easily as Phillips. They came under scrutiny
during the Henry Ford assembly line era, but rumour has it he refused to
use them because they were "foreign". Milton has to be a good 200 miles
---From Detroit. So great was his influence that they were ignored enough
to push them aside until the patent timed out.
        I recommend them for the stated reasons above, (RS&G are long gone) and
to set history back on track. Call them Robertsons.
Happy Landings, Ferg