Ideal CG Position?

Subject: Ideal CG Position?
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:34:45
Ideal CG Position?

I have finally done all the small mods and corrections I wanted to do to
Europa N152MT and tonight took it back to its hangar in Augusta. As well as
those things on my 'to do' list which I put together during the first 25
hours flying, I added some sound proofing mat (stainless steel/fire
block/aluminum sheet material) to the firewall.

This of course means a new weight and balance. This got me thinking ...

I know my Europa came out slightly nose heavy but acceptable. There must be
however an 'ideal' CG position which I could get to by adding a small amount
of ballast in the rear bulkhead (get-at-able throught the small access panel
created when the tailwheel mod was performed some time ago).

While the thing is on the scales I might as well do that. So the scenario is
then, empty aircraft, except for unusable fuel, what is 'the ideal' CG
position? It would not necessarily be in the middle of the CG envelope as you
would always be carrying one pilot and fuel so I would expect it to be
slightly aft when empty.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards
Martin Tuck