Re: Graham Singleton & Isaac Porat

Subject: Re: Graham Singleton & Isaac Porat
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:20:10

>  There is not much to report at present.

I have a little more news.

Graham has suffered collapsed lungs and likely broken ribs and is on
a ventilator. He has a badly broken thigh and a broken ankle. An MRI
scan did not reveal brain injuries, but there may be a skull
fracture. He has other injuries, including the broken jaw previously
mentioned, and all are being dealt with in turn as his condition
merits.

Isaac too suffered multiple serious injuries. Although he had been in
surgery for about 12 hours, his condition had not deteriorated as
might have been expected in such circumstances. His workplace is
being "besieged" by the press and his colleagues have been requested
not to talk to them.

A local news website reporting the crash has been mentioned to me by
a couple of people. It's a long one, so depending on how your mailer
handles long lines you may have to glue it together manually rather
than just clicking on it:

<http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/scripts/edarticle.asp?section=Local
+news&ID=1933&source=ET>

I checked with Jon Tye before broadcasting the URL, as it contains an
interview with him. He says it sounds largely correct, although the
reporter appears to have misinterpreted him on one point. Jon thought
that Graham was attempting to start a circuit back to the runway
rather than to "keep it off the airstrip". Jon also told me that the
crash did not initially appear survivable - that this was not so
appeared to be thanks to the way the Europa cockpit area had
dissipated the impact energy.

Many thanks to all those who have sent e-mails of support for me to
pass on by post. I encourage those who can, to write direct - I
should have mentioned that Europa Club members will have the home
addresses available in the membership list, and of course Graham is
also listed in the PFA inspector list. I have deliberately not copied
any postal addresses here; I don't want to create opportunities for
spam through the postal system and in any case, release of addresses,
even in these circumstances, could render us liable for prosecution
under the data protection laws.

The relative lack of traffic on this list in the last few days is
remarkable. I have the feeling of people around the world quietly
thinking of Isaac and Graham. It seems almost like the silence of a
Quaker Meeting, and I know how powerful that can be. Thank you all.

regards

Rowland

           ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...