Covered trailer and dolly

Subject: Covered trailer and dolly
From: John Anselmi <janselmi@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:41:18
Dear Jan,

Could I suggest that you visit some gliding clubs and look at the trailers
which they find successful.

Here in Australia the trailers which have a lift up top half tend to shake
apart on corrugated roads, but may be better in Europe.  They certainly give
good access to the glider inside.  I only know of one trailer where the
sides open to allow the wings to be lifted out and rotated to mate onto the
fuselage.  Usually the wings are mounted on dollies which roll out the rear
end of the trailer.

Gliders do not seem to jiggle about on the fuselage cradle, although
supplementary support is usual and varied.  Most seem to use a nose cone,
fuselage tail hold down strap and the fin sits in a slot, but the nose cone
support would not suit a Europa.  Some use the wing mounting points to fit a
supporting cradle which  runs in tracks in the roof of the trailer while a
few fit the fuselage onto a full length frame which then wheels into the
trailer.  One simpler system which I have seen involves using the wing
mounting points to attach the fuselage to the cradle which is then locked
onto the floor.  Perhaps I could add that glider wing mounting points seem
sturdier than the Europa ones, considering the relative weights.
Consequently you may prefer to attach the dolly to a (padded) beam passed
through the wing root opening in the fuselage.

A fold out ramp with tracks for the fuselage cradle is very successful,
especially if it has a jacking system to allow the wheel to be retracted.
The ramp is often part of a fold down rear door.  This system should remove
the need for a winch as the ramp slope can then be quite gentle.  To remove
the glider, the wheel is locked down and the glider wheel is then lowered
onto the ground.  I can get more details of this if it would help.

Regards,
John Anselmi.