Re: Rudder

Subject: Re: Rudder
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:32:43

----- Original Message -----
From: <TroyMaynor@aol.com>

> Hi All,
> Need help. I'm trying to properly locate the CS29 rudder fitting. I have
also
> incorporated Graham's tail wheel "Mod to the Mod", as it where. This
retains
> the use of the rudder push-pull rod connected to a bellcrank on the aft
> bulkhead. The problem I am having may be just me over reacting but I can't
> seem to get the same amount of rudder throw in both directions no matter

Troy,

We may have just gotten lucky, but my partner and I hit the right spot on
the first try yesterday.  The key to getting the right total travel is to
have exactly 2.5" between the hinge pin and the center of the bolt through
the rod end.  To get equal left and right deflections, the line between
those two points must be exactly perpendicular to the center line (front to
back) of the rudder.

This looks pretty difficult to achieve if you do what the manual shows.
Luckily, we misinterpreted the cross sectional drawings, and cut the leading
edge skin all the way back to the CS29 flanges on both sides.  This made it
very easy to align the center of the hole for the pivot bolt in the CS29 to
be at the same height as the hinge pin, when the rudder was held with its
trailing edge down.  We did this by eye only, and also verified that the
spacing between the bolt hole and hinge was exactly 2.5".  When we bonded
the CS29 in temporarily to check the travel, it was right at the minimum
allowed.  Adding in the two plies of bid before permanently installing the
CS29 moves the fitting slightly inboard, increasing the total travel a bit,
but both directions came out between 30 and 31 degrees.

We added two plies of 'bid' to replace the skin that we accidentally cut too
far back.  This did not decrease the clearance between the rudder and the
flange of the fin, because the smallest clearance occurs aft of where the
'bid' was added.

All of the above applies to our XS kit with Graham Singleton's intermediate
bellcrank mod.  I don't know if the geometry would be the same for other
arrangements.

Dave DeFord
A135