Re: Use (of Nightsun lites) with an alternator power source

Subject: Re: Use (of Nightsun lites) with an alternator power source
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:46:11
I checked out this product on several websits . . . please don't
spend a lot of bux purchasing these things for adaptation to
airplanes.

The bulbs used in their fixtures are plain vanilla halogen
spot/flood devices not unlike the one you'll see at

http://www.aeroelectric.com/exh.jpg

These bulbs have built in reflectors and come in a wide
variety of wattages and beam spreads. The 12V rated lamps
are used by the thousands in product displays in stores
and are quite inexpensive.  One might also consider using
a common automotive headlamp like the one I show at

http://www.aeroelectric.com/4352.jpg

This lamp is 55w, very compact, the right shape for leading
edge incorporation and a whold lot less expensive than the
Nightsun products.

The respondant's concerns about "regulation of the vehicle"
shows lack of knowledge of how things are supposed to work.
It's true that a bulb's life varies strongly with voltage.
For example, running a bulb a 95% of its rated value doubles
the life, 105% of rated value halves the life. HOWEVER,
given that these bulbs are designed for thousands of hours
service in high duty cycle service like storefronts should
mitigate the builder's concerns for service life . . . especially
since the 4509 lamp used in tens of thousands of certified
ships has a service life on the order of 10-20 hours!

Check out the light bulbs I've suggested above and do some
poking around on your own in the lighting sections of hardware
stores and automotive suppliers . . .