Copperstate/AudioFlightAvionics

Subject: Copperstate/AudioFlightAvionics
From: Lindsay <hlindsay@NMSU.Edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:10:25
Hello to all.
        First a brief word about Copperstate 99. HOT! This was NOT (rhymes
with "HOT") one of those Copperstate's favoured with mild fall temperatures!
It was warm...and humid! That having been said...and I will be
brief...attendance was down slightly, perhaps due to the number of
competing-events during the weekend. The beginning week of the Arizona State
Fair, major league baseball playoff games, and other more minor distractions
all seemed to impact on attendance by the general public. Cannot quote
sources, but the attendance was definitely below that of last year. On the
positive side, however, it did not appear that attendance by the "flying
public" suffered a great deal. At the Europa booth, we stayed relatively
busy and were priviledged to spend very little time in the "comfort" of the
tent. Nothing "new" or "revolutionary" to report as regards the event. The
airshow did seem to be a bit "thinner" and "less-thunderous" than in
previous years?
        Kim Prout did quite well in the annual California-to-Arizona race
("Copperstate Dash"?), but will leave the telling of that tale to Kim. I
will say this...if you saw the only aeroplane in his class that was even
close to his enroute speed, you would immediately understand his placement
in the event. Obviously, someone else was transporting that pilots
toothbrush and change of underwear from California to Arizona, as there was
absolutely no way he could have brought them with him in the machine he was
flying! I'm not sure he was even wearing shoes?
        In all, it was a weekend-plus that was well spent extolling the
virtues of a great aeroplane (note proper spelling throughout this
communication). Did I mention that it was HOT! I had an all too brief visit
with Geraint Owens, who for some insane reason choose to visit Arizona on
this particular weekend, and he can confirm that the temperatures were just
a bit on the "high" side.
        Regarding Audio Flight Avionics, I did make several inquiries, and
was unable to learn anything substantive about their present status. Vendor
Chairperson Jim Buchanon is in his first year "at the helm" in that
position, and he could only offer that he did not recall any communications
to/from them during his short tenure in that position. There were no other
"avionics/instrument-specific" vendors there this year, other than Aircraft
Spruce, and they couldn't provide any information either.
        However, on my return home, there was a message from Tony Krzyzewski
awaiting me on the subject of AFA's present status. Tony has had recent
contact with the folks at AFA, and they have assured Tony that they will be
posting an appropriate response to the Europa Club (regarding their present
status) in the immediate future. I shall leave it at that and, like you,
hope that the news is encouraging and that their very fine products will
enjoy a profitable future. I received another similar correspondence from
yet another Club member, so will give AFA the opportunity to respond, which
I hope they are inclined to do at the earliest possible time. I've always
had very good feelings about these folks and their products.
        This next weekend I'll be attending the Southwest Regional Fly-in at
Abilene, Texas (formerly and more popularly known in these "whereabouts"
[cowboy-talk] as the "Kerrville (TX) Fly-in). Unless someone sends me a note
saying "please DON'T," I'll forward a "brief report" on that event when I
return to New Mexico the following week.
        Did I mention it was HOT at Copperstate?
        Good thoughts and best wishes to all. -Ed-