hot cockpit

Subject: hot cockpit
From: 113-22 Scherer Thomas DN=113-22 <11322@ZENTRALE.AA.bund400.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:55:04
you're right, a standard Europa configuration will allow a lot of
heat to enter the cabin from the engine compartment. I was equally
seeking a solution with added airflow until I thought about a heat
barrier.

I installed a material from the Spruce catalogue which consists
of a 1/8 inch foam with a glue surface on one side and aluminum
on the other side. That material was glued onto the front area of
the firewall and has two effects:

(1) heat reduction to zero and (2) sound attenuation.

As the temps are going down in Europe, I am actually thinking
about some heater now and in weak moments I think of removing
some of the foam/al barrier. It is very effective as heat barrier - I
cannot notice any rise in temps after engine start. As sound barrier
it removes some of the high pitch frequencies.

It might seem that the engine compartment must get hotter by
this measure - I could not confirm this fear.

I'll follow up to this message with product description as I didn't
bring the Spruce catalogue to work (today).

Sincerely,

<Thomas kit # 81>