Re: The great fuel injection debate

Subject: Re: The great fuel injection debate
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:12:19
Thanks for the compliment, although its not difficult to do better than Ford
(some of their stuff (eg throttle pots.) leaves a lot to be desired.

Similarly, a professionally built custom loom is going to be a lot better
than a proportion of homebuilders would have the patience or experience to
put together. With most auto manufactures (including BMW) there is a
delicate balance between quality and cost. As such its fairly
straightforward to improve upon the reliability prospects of the OEM wiring
by means of,for example, better architecture (the custom loom needs only to
be routed for the EFI and not a miriad of other functions), better
connectors (putting all earth wires onto a single flat ring terminal is
cheap for the OEM but not ideal), improved strain relief and support,
aircraft spec. wire, etc.

How such a custom loom is installed and checked in accordance with
instructions is a matter for the local regulatory/inspection system (eg PFA)
to police. It is however a fact that most 2-stroke failures experienced in
the UK were in the early years largely a consequence of poor installation
rather than, necessarily, a flaw in their design.

Following recent events, Rotax might feel they are not up to the challenge;
maybe their problems have been a consequence of to much "car stuff".

Carbs. and dual ignition might represent a comfortable alternative for
technophobes! But carbs aren`t without their problems and figure
significantly in the accident ratings for the effects of icing alone.
Similarly, an EFI system can be backed up with a simple "tap and injector",
but I remain to be convinced that the additional complexity is worth the
trouble.

Apologies to the forum if this thread is becoming overworked.

Duncan McFadyean