Re: Hot 914

Subject: Re: Hot 914
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:29:41
The BMW project is approaching its first flight in a Europa hopefully
(paperwork permitting) later this year. In the last few weeks the cooling
systems have been finalised and tested. These have worked extremely well;
the engine can be run at 60%+ pretty much indefinitely on the ground with
the cowls on and without overheating. Long full power runs on the ground
have also been possible without overheating. We haven`t actually established
how long this can be kept up; there isn`t alot of point really as it far
exceeds the ability of many other engines to perform in this respect.

Power output is difficult to gauge but, using the same early wide chord
prop. which G-YURO used, static prop. speed is about 16% greater than that
early 912.

Steffan Ruvenet in Switzerland will probably fly before us with his
conversion (which uses an Italian waterpump gearbox).

Duncan McFadyean