Eclipse

Subject: Eclipse
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:37:01
Well. Dave Elliott & I just had the most fantastic Europa day of our lives.
We took off 0540 UK summer time from our strip in Derbyshire, flew south
east to Luton, who as always were very courteous, LAM VOR to Headcorn for
coffee and customs. 1 hour 20 with a 10 kt tailwind. So smooth we let GK
Whip see 130 kts indicated letting down to land. Then direct to Boulogne,
(BNE) and turn right with a landing at Abbeville, 53 minutes block to block.

More coffee with real French croissants. Just an hour and a half to wait
for the eclipse. With half an hour to go Andy Draper arrived in the factory
XS. For a while it looked as though the clouds might build and block the
sun, but as it cooled down and slowly became dusk the clouds disappeared
and by totality it was blue. The sun's corona flashed into view with
Mercury and Venus shining brightly and everyone, (crew from a hundred
aircraft, ) cheered and marvelled at the sight.

Oddly enough , after more coffee and a jambon stick, (very tasty) we had a
5 kt tailwind back to Headcorn. A day I've been anticipating for at least
40 years and worth every moment. Thanks to Ivan for the bird that made the
trip so economical and practical.
Graham