Re: Circuit Breakers and Fusible Links

Subject: Re: Circuit Breakers and Fusible Links
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:01:58

>Here is what happened:
>
>When I built the plane, I installed a level switch in each tank to
>indicate that it was down to 5 gallons.   A warning light illuminates on
>my alarm panel indicating which tank is low.  As it turned out, the bulb
>indicating low fuel in the left tank was shorted, and the breaker tripped
>when I made steep left turns (I guess the turns weren't coordinated, or
>this theoretically wouldn't have happened).
>
>Interesting huh?
>
>I learned several things from this experience:
>1)  Resetting a breaker in flight is not necessarily a bad thing.

  But did you KNOW that before you were on the ground
  and able to make a considered diagnosis? Knowing
  what you know now, would you take a similar situation
  in the future and choose to shift from pilot-mode
  to mechanic-mode in an effort to see if an inflight
  reset is a good idea?

>2)  A breaker helped me diagnose this problem.

   . . . and a popped fuse would not?

>3)  I never say a circuit will never fail.

   . . . which is why we have fuses and circuit breakers
   in the first place.

>In this unusual case, being able to tell when the short occurred
>(watching the breaker pop) helped me solve the mystery.  Had this circuit
>been protected with fuses, I don't know how I would have ever solved the
>mystery.

  Why not? When chasing an intermittant short, how about
  rigging a light bulb in series with the bus to feed
  the affected circuit . . . you can wiggle and fiddle
  while watching the light . . . when the light is illuminated
  brightly, the short is in effect. When you're diagnosing
  the same kind of problem with a breaker, you can clip a
  lightbulb across the open breaker for the same diagnostic
  tool.  This is NOT an unsual case at all . . . MANY
  faults present themselves initially with an intermittant
  condition . . . which is one of the reasons I don't
  think Polyfuses are such a good idea . . you might
  fly around with an impeding failure when it first
  manifests only an intermittant condition and not
  know it until it craps for good.

>However, in spite of this experience, if I were to do it over
>again, I would keep it simple and install only fuses.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >