re: Tailplane Mass Balance

Subject: re: Tailplane Mass Balance
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 11:29:31

>   I need to add some weight to my tailplane mass balance.
[snip]
>but my local metal shop don't stock lead.

I have got 200gm (and more) of lead (in various shapes) that I'm sure we
could come to an arrangement over, but I'm a bit concerned about attaching
it safely and permanently to the mass balance. Various nasty things could
follow if it came adrift. Sheet lead is a bit floppy and liable to unwrap
itself rather easily; I think I'd favour casting some into a thick lump
that could perhaps be attached by machine screws. Even better, if possible,
would be to cast it in-situ into a cavity shaped so that it can't get out
again - but that does not sound appropriate for this situation as it would
involve removing quite a bit of the existing mass.

No doubt there will be other ideas - I'm willing to help with raw material
in any case.

If it's not too embarrassing to say, what led to the need for more mass?
(And thus how can the rest of us avoid the same problem!)

regards

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...