Recent Terminal Article in Sport Aviation

Subject: Recent Terminal Article in Sport Aviation
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:13:15
    I've been getting a lot of inquiries about an article that
    appeared recently in Sport Aviation.  The letter below is exemplary
    of the questions I'm getting, so I thought I would share it with
    everyone . . .

-----------------------------

>Last night I read an article in the latest "Sport Aviation" (the one with
>that beautiful red Staggerwing on the cover) and saw that you "took some
>heat" from another guy in the electrical business about your use of "spade"
>lugs for aircraft electrical connections.
>
>I would be interested in your response to that article.

  I reviewed that article two years ago for Jack Cox and recommended
  that it not be published.  The article was preachy, gave lots of
  "donts" without describing the alterative "dos" and offered
  advice that contradicted decades of industry standard practices.

  It completely ignored the physics involved in making vibration
  resistant wire connections suited for airplanes.  Please be confident
  that terminals we sell and tools we supply for installing them are in step
  with aircraft industry practice and that much of what Mr. Burgher
  recommends is certain to produce inferior results.

  I will be publising a line-by-line critical review of the article
  soon. I will have my work reviewed by at least two other aircraft
  electrical engineers and include their comments should they care
  to contribute to the work.

>BTW, I have purchased from you a complete set of spade connectors, and your
>40-point "grounding lug" assembly which connects through the firewall.  I
>havent' gotten to that point of my restoration yet, so those parts are all
>still "in the bag."
>
>On one hand, the continuous ring style lug seems less likely to come off
>than a spade connector.  On the other hand, my 1940-vintage "Ford" voltage
>regulator has spade connectors which have NEVER come off in 10+ years of
>flying . . .

   Ring terminals don't COME OFF, they GET LOOSE.  A partial revolution
   of the threaded fastener kills the joint. Ring terminals are FINE
   devices, it's our techniques for attaching to them that sucks.
   I'll suggest that your observations are in line with recommendations
   I've published for years. Folks interested in further background
   topics touched on by Mr. Burgher are invited to check out articles
   at:

   http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles.html

   Look down the page for works on "big terminals" and "fast-on
   spade terminals".  When the review is completed, I'll publish
   in on our website and let everyone know of its availability. I'm
   also going to regenerate and post an aritcle I did several years
   ago for another magazine on crimped terminals . . . much of the data
   for that article came right out of the AMP, Inc. engineering
   applications manual.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)