Re: CHT/EGT variations

Subject: Re: CHT/EGT variations
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:25:40

><< We put a GEM-602 (4-cylinder engine monitor) on our Traveler several weeks
> ago and have been watching it ever since to get an idea of 'how things are'.
> I don't understand something we are seeing and before we start switching
> probes around I thought I would see if someone else with more experience
> with these sorts of things can lend me a clue.
>
> On climb out, the CHTs for all 4 cylinders is 'fairly' flat, but the EGTs
> are all over the chart. The EGTs for cylinders 3 and 4 seem to be close to
> the anticipated levels, but the EGTs for cylinders 1 and 2 are much lower.
> Once at cruise settings, the EGTs for 3 and 4 remain at expected levels and
> the EGTs for 1 and 2 rise to expected levels.

  A friend of mine retired from GM after 'bout a bizzilion years as
  an engine guru and went to work for McClarin (sp?) to help with
  development of specialized engines including very high performance
  engines for racing. I recall some conversations we had about 10
  years ago when he was running his Lyc O-235 in a test cell
  in anticipation of putting the engine in his Long-Ez fitted with
  a special carburetor. I can share some things I learned from our
  discussions.

  Two considerations high on the list of priorities for induction
  system design are FLOW and MIXURE. The two qualities are interdependent
  to a degree that causes a lot of brick throwing between guys trying
  to whip carburetor problems and those designing the plumbing that
  hooks everything up.

  CHTs are an indication of a balance between cooling air over the
  cylinders and the heat energy thrown off by the fires and friction
  within the cylinder . . . and may have very little significance
  with respect to how well that cylinder is puttine energy into the
  propeller. For example, if one cylinder is putting out half the
  horsepower it was designed for, it may still show the same temperature
  as the others if it suffers from restricted air flow for cooling.

  EGTs are a stronger indicator for energy produced by the cylinder
  but I undestand that the temperature can be influenced both by
  flow (amount of fuel/air consumed each stroke and restrictions
  in the ability of the exhaust system to move the spent gasses
  out) and mixture (the most efficient use of fuel is indicated
  by adjusting mixture for maximum EGT reading meaning that their
  is neither an excess of fuel or oxygen).  Mixture is the most
  powerful infuluence of the two.

  The ability of carbutetors to discharge a completly homogenous
  concoction of fuel vapors and air is a dicy proposition. By-
  in-large, carburetor designs on most certfied airplanes have
  not been modified in things that affect performance since they
  were liberated from the farm over 50 years ago.  Updraft
  carburetors for deep breathing engines were fairly common
  on tractors back then . . . while cars were moving rapidly
  away from the design. Given aviation's reverence for things
  traditional, it's not hard to understand why cars run so
  much better than our airplanes.

  If one observes a large difference in EGT readings on an aircraft
  engine, there's a relatively easy way to scope out the cause.
  In straight and level flight, adjust the mixture over a range
  as needed to observe the peak in each cylinder.  Do this one
  cylinder at a time returning to a "too rich" setting for a
  minute or so between each reading.  It's not sufficient to
  do this test at a very low power setting where continuous
  operation at peak EGT is allowed. The ability of
  a carburetor to maintain the same mixture characteristics
  over the full range of throttle travel is generally poor.
  The differences you cited for various power settings
  is an example of this phenomenon.

  If this test shows that you can achieve the SAME peak reading
  on every cylinder, then you know that the unballance is due
  to mixture variations on a cyclinder by cylinder basis. If
  all cylinders peak at the same time but show different
  tempratures, then there is a difference in flow of gasses
  on a cylinder by cylinder basis -or- there is a variation
  in the calibration the probes and indicating system on a
  cylinder-by-cylinder basis.

  Institutionalized aviation has managed to push this design
  flaw under the rug for decades by installing a single
  EGT probe in the exhaust gas stream of the cylinder that
  peaks first as the mixture is leaned. After enriching to
  the value recommended for cruising flight one could be
  assured that all other cylinders are operating at or below
  the same temperature on the rich side of peak. It was
  not apparent when one or more cylinders operated a
  hundred degrees cooler than the hottest . . . not until
  you folks started installing fancy instrumentation.

  See what progress has done for us? After decades of
  operation in the fat, dumb and happy mode, we now have
  something new to worry about, as if good pilotage wasn't
  enough to occupy our minds while airborne.  My suspicions
  are that wide variations in EGT readings are pretty common
  in carbureted engines. Injected engines can be fine tuned
  by adjusting the ports for each cylinder but you guys
  with tractor carbs are pretty well stuck with what you've
  got.

  By the way, my friend was considering installation of
  a more modern carburetor design on his Long-Ez and was
  so disappoined in the test-cell results that he bolted
  the tractor carb back onto the engine. His experience
  suggests to me that carburetors should have been
  eliminated from aircraft engines a LONG time ago. But
  then, we're not nearly the influencial consumer group
  as car buyers. Regulation has so discouraged competition
  and new development;  we must resign ourselves to living
  with the unhappy information acquired by sticking that
  new-fangled gage on your antique airplane!

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >