Re: Misc. Assistance

Subject: Re: Misc. Assistance
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:12:24
In a message dated 5/23/99 Paul Lowe wrote (in part):

> (i) Whilst building my kit  I have many times looked at the fuel filler
>  cap, building a Tri Gear (I know the wimps version) the fuel filler cap is
>  4 ' 9" high. I have wondered how you lift jerry cans that high to fill the
>  tank without spillage.

Paul --

Have you installed the fuel filler yet?  If not, consider that the XS places
the fuel filler on the starboard side, down from top centerline a bit and
just aft of the door.

I don't like that location for my tri-gear, since I think it's too close to
the window should a klutz (including me), or even wind, spritz some fuel on
the window.  So, I'm considering still placing it still aft of the rear
bulkhead, but down from top centerline like the XS.

> The currently available capacitance fuel gauges require  a hole to be cut
> in the top of tank, as a retro fit this is difficult and not everyone wants
> to damage the integrity of the tank. Could the sender tube (I understand
> they can be bent)  not be installed through the same point as the top vent
> tube in the tank.

This might require buying one to find out; seems to me that the bend radius
might be too much for accurate readings near full tank. Just a guess.

> If it is accepted that the integrity of the tank is to be broken by cutting
a hole in
> the top. Could a smaller hole, be made instead, housing say a 30mm dia
> laminated glass disc be mounted in a ali flange. An internal graduated rod
could
>  then be seen with a little external  illumination of the tank from a small
light.
> Centrally fitted between the headrests it could be viewed from the pilot
seat.

Others have considered this; don't know if any wound up that way.  Whatever
is done must not allow fumes inside the cabin or be breakable if struck.

Hope this helps--

Regards,
Fred FIllinger, A063