Re: Monowheel Brake Caliper Orientation

Subject: Re: Monowheel Brake Caliper Orientation
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:24:03

I am building an XS monowheel
Europa and I am just fitting the mainwheel and brake assembly - has
anyone had a problem with the positioning of the disc brake caliper.=A0 In
the manual, XS issue 1, page 28-15 shows the brake caliper positioned
approximately 30 degrees off the centreline of LG02, such that with the
mainwheel retracted, the brake assembly is inside the wheelwell.=A0 Later,
on page 29-9, the caliper is shown at 90 degrees to the LG02 centreline -
which means that the caliper will be just below the wheelwell with the
mainwheel retracted.=A0 As the mainwheel will not retract fully (without
some radical surgery) with the brake caliper submerged, I suspect that
the latter illustration on Page 29-9 is the correct one - can anyone
confirm this?

=A0

regards,

=A0

=A0=A0=A0 Mike Parkin (312, G-JULZ)

=A0

The brake caliper needs to be positioned so that it is more or less
horizontal when the wheel is down. In the as plans Classic
position, (I don't have a set of XS plans) it will trash the tyre if you
are unlucky and get a puncture. Some minor surgery is necessary to
achieve the better position by rotating the cliper 120 degrees aft. Worth
the effort, IMHO.

Graham