Fuel measurement/endurance

Subject: Fuel measurement/endurance
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:59:38
Why is it so difficult to measure fuel level accurately ?

I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who has come up with a
consistent
fuel level measuring device.

Anything which is reliable, reasonably cheap, and easy to retro-fit into
the aircraft tank
would be worth considering ?

I can work out useage per hour/fuel flow (approximate) and subtract this
---From total capacity,
but it's not the way I'd want to contemplate any long cross country's
which are pushing the
aircraft's maximum endurance.

I know FX will fly at a respectable cruise (5000 rpm) for just under 4
1/2 hours on my
_larger than average_  main tank, (with a few litres spare + 3 litres
unuseable),
but it's hardly the way to do business.

I was shocked to find that my recently installed visible sight gauge is
wildly
inaccurate, yet is fitted conventionally.

On a recent flight I had at least 65 litres on board, and the gauge
showed zero - yes zero,
for a large part of the flight (over an hour).......why ?..

I suspect some kind of pressure wave, or partial vacuum may be
responsible, but if
anyone has had a similar experience, I'd welcome advice on a solution ?

Alan

PS. Following up on a previous thread.

My headset chords _do_ plug in at the base of the headrests on the
insides, below the access holes.
I've been perfectly happy with them in that position.

--
Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                     'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                    work   : +44 1473 607571
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR          email  : alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk

            office email :  alan.d.stewart@bt.com