Re:Low-cost landing lights/flasher

Subject: Re:Low-cost landing lights/flasher
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:35:36
>I recall a Bob Nuckolls article which had a diode which does what you
describe.
>My memory says that with this component in the circuit there is always some
>power to the bulb (kind of warming the elements) and when you turn it on they
>will have less tendency to shock the filament.

  There are two ways to mitigate the inrush current to
  a lamp filament at turn on. One is to keep some amount of
  current flowing in the lamp filament equal to about 1-2%
  of it's full operating power at all times. This keeps the
  filament above the bittle/ductile transition temperaure
  (more resistant to vibration) and elevates the resistance
  of the filament so that application of full power has a lower
  inrush value.

  The "keep warm" power can be from a small DC-DC converter
  that puts out about 3 volts which can be diode distributed
  to all of the aircraft's lighting circuits. The other technique
  involves the use of resistors in parallel with the control
  switch of each lighting circuit such that a small but significant
  amount of current flows to the lamps even when the switch is
  open or OFF.

  The other technique involves incorporation of an inrush
  limiter in series with the lamp. These are educated
  resistors that have a significant resistance value when
  cold (.2 to .5 ohms) and drop to an in-significant value
  (.005 to .01 ohms) when warm. When operated in series with
  the lamp, their cold resistance keeps the inrush to a lower,
  more desired value but a few seconds after application of
  power to the lamp, their resistance drops due to the
  warming effect of lamp current flowing in the device.

  NEITHER of these techniques is particularly significant
  in terms of lamp life for wig-wagged landing lights. This
  is because the lamp filament doesn't have time to cool off
  between flashes so after the inrush current for second
  and subsequent flashes is MUCH lower than the first.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >