Re: Europa vs Kis TR-1

Subject: Re: Europa vs Kis TR-1
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:26:13

>I have flown in the Kis TR-1 fitted with a 65 HP Revmaster engine at
>Margate and despite being somewhat underpowered still managed a
>respectable 120 knots without wheel spats. This aircraft is now flying
>with a 160 HP Lycoming 0-320, although I believe it now lacks elevator
>authority at low speed due to the heavy engine. Having only microlight
>experience I cannot give a subjective report on handling.
>Are there any flyers out there with experience on both types?

Yep: the KIS does fly nicely - but not with the sweet control harmony and
delightful responses as the Europa, which IMHO is in the top 1% of all the
aircraft I have flown (something like 40 types)

It's also a bit of a ground hog in comparison: An O-320 version probably
leaps off the ground, but I'd be reluctant to take one into a 300m rough
strip - something the europa is quite happy on.

You can also make a KIS go as fast as a Europa but only with a bigger (and
much thirstier) engine.

The Europa also has had the benefit of a proper stress analysis, and
professional flight testing

Miles