RE: Buying built Europas

Subject: RE: Buying built Europas
From: David Glauser <dg@xpsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:57:43

Only the original "manufacturer" or a licensed A&P may work on an airplane,
other than strictly listed small items such as changing the oil. The builder
may (and most probably did) apply for a repairman's certificate after the
plane was certified by the FAA. This entitles him to perform the work.
Sometimes they are still willing to work on the aircraft, even after they
have sold it, but you can't count on it. Purchasing a used homebuilt means
you have an A&P do your work, just like a certified plane. I'm pretty sure
that any A&P can perform the annual Condition Inspection, and you don't have
to get one with an IA (Inspection Authorization, required to sign off a
certified aircraft annual). This is because you do not have to perform an
Annual Inspection, but an annual Condition Inspection. You had best check
with the EAA on the last point. In general, if you are at all interested in
experimental aircraft in the US, join the EAA. You can call them up in
Wisconsin and ask all the questions you want, or poke around the web site
(www.eaa.org) where there ought to be all kinds of useful information.

David Glauser